The holidays are just around the corner and our calendars are quickly filling in with family commitments and holiday celebrations. The decorations are up and the carollers are singing, reminding us that it’s the most wonderful time of the year. But as our to-do list grows, our pressures mount, and it’s easy to become overwhelmed, both physically and spiritually, and lose sight of the magic of the season.
The holidays offer so many opportunities to overindulge in delicious foods, sweets, and alcohol. It can be a challenging time for our anxieties as we try to create the perfect holiday for our children and our families. As our wellbeing fades into eggnog and sugary treats, our stress increases. It’s hard to enjoy the holidays when you’re tired and not feeling well. Here are some tips to enjoy (survive!) the holidays while maintaining your good health and preserving your sanity ;)
- Breath! Remembering to breathe might sound silly, but when stress or anxiety takes hold, breathing is one of the first things to go. Being mindful of your breath can help keep you centred and calm. Breathe your way through the holidays with deep, nourishing, belly breaths.
- Focus on the love! It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the gifts, the menu, the decorations, and all of the ‘stuff’ that defines the holidays. When you start to feel your stress levels climb, focus on your loved ones. Remind yourself of what IS important --it’s not the perfect gift for your mother-in-law, it really is the time we spend together. The other ‘stuff’ is just the trimmings.
- Sleep! We all need stamina to make it through the holidays, and sleep helps us build it. Sleep is essential for good health, and there is a strong relationship between sleep and mood. Ensuring you and your family get enough sleep throughout the holidays will go a long way in ensuring good health and wellbeing throughout the holidays.
- Stay Hydrated! Staying well hydrated can help fight off the effects of overindulgence and keep your system fighting strong. Drink lots of water and don't forget to add your greens!
- Digest! Our tummy’s good health is essential to the holidays. Digestive enzymes can help counter the effects of a rich diet. When taken before meals, bitters and supplemental enzymes can ensure proper digestion. Eat slowly, limit your alcohol and sugar intake and avoid eating late at night. Ensure that you have a lot of healthy snacks -- nuts and seeds, fresh fruit, and raw veggies -- readily available. This can help ensure that you are getting the nutrients your body needs and can help reduce your trips to the desert table.
Balance! Trying to maintain balance can be tricky during the holidays, but with some thought and a little planning, you can make smart choices to help ensure that you more than survive the holidays, you enjoy them!
Wishing you all a very happy, healthy holiday!Be Happy, Be Well, BHealthy
Share this post